Tuesday, August 14, 2012

On Self Investments and Irish Car Bombs


What is something you've always wanted to do, but never have? Go sky diving? Take a Mediterranean cruise? Apply for the next season of The Bachelorette? (I don't judge.) What about the smaller stuff - the day-to-day? What is something that you could feasibly do to treat yourself today? Or this weekend, even? You know, like chug an Irish car bomb.

My counselor asked me this question yesterday. She charged me to really live the day-to-day. She said that whenever I am consumed with anxiety or obsessive thoughts, whenever I compusively worry about someome else or things I cannot control, to instead think about what I'm going to do to treat myself, today. I think we could all take advantage of this advice.

So I thought about it on my drive home from work. What's one thing I've always wanted to do, but never have? One of my first thoughts: I want an Irish car bomb! I don't know if it's because I'd had a long and stressful day, or because I was thinking about those four months I spent in Ireland, or because I have a drinking problem (kidding, Mom). But for some reason, while cruising south on 395, I determined that soon I'll redeem my tame and sheltered college years and try this intriguing concoction for myself. I'll probably hate it. But that's ok.

I decided chugging booze on a Monday night was probably not what my counselor had in mind, so instead I went home and "treated myself" to an episode of The Bachelor Pad, which is probably just as destructive to my insides.

Today I'm buying a new whole grain - like amaranth, farro, or millet - to experiment with in the kitchen. Cooking - and trying new food - makes me simply and sweetly happy.

What about you? What's one thing you can do for yourself - today?

No comments: